|Event Type:||Training Program|
|Date:||21 November & 22 November 2023 16:00 – 19:45|
|Total Number Of Seats:||300|
Regulation (EU) No 910/2014 on electronic identification and trust services for electronic transactions in the internal market and repealing Directive 1999/93/EC (eIDAS regulation) constitutes a strong step towards Digital Single Market. It is transformative for the framework it implements but also for the doors it manages to open. eIDAS introduces a new, EU-wide legal framework for electronic identification (eID) and trust services, including electronic signatures, while it offers a high degree of certainty, consistency, and predictability. The eIDAS regulation brings about new legal challenges and opportunities, and new legal concepts and rules.
This introductory course is specifically tailored for lawyers and other legal professionals seeking to provide them with a comprehensive understanding of the eIDAS regulation and its implications. The objective is to equip lawyers with the necessary knowledge to effectively navigate this framework. Throughout the course, participants will receive expert guidance on the eIDAS regulation, focusing on its key provisions. By exploring the various provisions, participants will gain familiarity with the new legal concepts and rules introduced by the regulation. This knowledge will enable them to provide informed legal advice to their clients regarding the new services created by eIDAS, such as electronic identification, electronic signatures, electronic seals, timestamps, and others.
A significant emphasis of the course is placed on comprehending the legal effect, evidentiary value, legal admissibility, burden of proof and legal presumption of trust services, particularly electronic signatures. This comprehensive understanding is crucial in fostering an appreciation of the litigation and broader legal issues associated with the implementation of the eIDAS regulation. To facilitate practical application, the trainer will also showcase real-life legal opinion extracts that assess the legal aspects of eIDAS electronic signatures and electronic seals.
The course also discusses how lawyers can reposition themselves as professionals equipped with the knowledge required to provide valuable legal advisory services to their clients. Participants will gain insights into evaluating their clients’ eIDAS solutions in terms of legal effect and impact, as well as the provision of litigation services for future disputes. The course also focuses on relevant case law enabling participants to develop skills and knowledge that may be used in court. By the end of the course, legal professionals will have a solid grasp of how understanding and embracing the eIDAS regulation can benefit their law firms in terms of enhancing their legal advisory and litigation services to clients and transforming their internal processes.
We invite lawyers and legal professionals to join this course and discover how the eIDAS regulation can be used to elevate their professional expertise and drive success for their law firm.
• The eIDAS regulation:
o Development of eIDAS and the changes that it brings
o Scope and objectives
o eIDAS in Cyprus
• Navigating the regulation:
o eIDAS architecture
o Chapter II: Electronic identification
o Chapter III: Trust services
o Briefly explaining: Electronic signatures, Electronic Seals, Time stamping, Electronic registered delivery services, website authentication, electronic documents
o eID scheme: implementation by Cyprus and how this can benefit the private sector (including law firms and lawyers)
• Overview of the evolution of signatures:
o Traditional, Electronic & Digitized signatures
o Electronic vs Digital signatures
o Are electronic signatures legally enforceable? Are all electronic signatures equal in terms of evidentiary value and legal effect?
o Practical tips: how can we tell electronic signatures apart? how does an eIDAS electronic signature process look like?
• Electronic signatures and Legal Concepts (legal effect, evidentiary value, and liabilities):
o Definition, scope and application
o Types of Electronic Signatures under the eIDAS regulation and the key legal differences (Simple, Advanced, Qualified)
o How do the processes differ for the different types of electronic signatures?
o Legal effect, evidentiary value and legal admissibility
o Burden of proof, legal presumption, and connection with handwritten signatures
o Use of e-signature legal concepts in litigation processes
o The questions that the court is trying to ascertain for a signed document
o How to choose the right type of electronic signature: advising clients based on legal effect and implications of electronic signatures, and mitigating legal risks for clients
• Legal Concepts for other trust services
o Legal Effect and evidentiary value based on different types of trust services
o Burden of proof and legal presumption based on different types of trust services
o How to choose the right type of trust services: advising clients based on legal effect and implications of trust services
o Briefly explaining how eIDAS can benefit a law firm
o Discussing frequently asked questions
o Discussing legal opinions: we look at relevant legal implications of eIDAS trust services (like electronic signatures) through actual legal opinions given for the implementation of eIDAS solutions
• Closing remarks
o News and Recent Developments
This course is suitable for professionals in the legal industry, who wish to learn about the eIDAS regulation. In particular, the course is ideal for:
- EU Lawyers
- Legal Professionals and Legal Advisors
- Attorneys of the Republic
- Internal Lawyers (working in any legal department of an organization or government)
- Graduate Lawyers, Junior Lawyers, Law Researchers
- Understand the EU Legal Framework for electronic signatures
- Explore the eIDAS regulation, its background, and the changes that it brings
- Discuss the evolution of signatures (From traditional to electronic and digital signatures)
- Discuss the definition and application, and scope of electronic signatures
- Familiarise themselves with the types of electronic signatures and their main differences: focus on the legal differences and practical considerations (how their processes differ)
- Describe the difference between Simple, Advanced, and Qualified Trust Services
- Discuss key legal concepts for eIDAS trust services focusing on e-signatures: burden of proof, legal presumption, legal admissibility, evidentiary value, legal effect and enforceability
- Discuss eIDAS legal concepts in court processes
- Justify how eIDAS can benefit law firms
- Discuss legal opinions given for the implementation of eIDAS tools and services (e.g., electronic signatures and electronic seals)